CITY OF CLINTON
The county seat is the largest of the eight communities and is near the geographical center of the county. Incorporated in 1852, the town was named for Brigadier General Richard Clinton who served honorably in the American Revolution. Since Clinton in centrally located, it developed as the major agricultural marketing center and is the cultural, economic, and industrial center of the county. The town is governed by a mayor and a five-member city council.
City of Clinton
221 Lisbon St.
Clinton, NC 28329
TOWN OF AUTRYVILLE
Incorporated in 1891, Autryville was founded by Captain James L. Autry who was instrumental in placing the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Regional Railroad through the town. Located on the banks of the South River, Autryville was home to Micajah Autry, who fought in the battle of the Alamo alongside Davy Crockett. Autryville is governed by a mayor and a five-member commission.
Town of Autryville
305 South Gray St.
Autryville, NC 28318
TOWN OF GARLAND
The town of Garland was incorporated on February 8, 1907 and is located about seventeen miles south of Clinton. The small town was named for the assistant postmaster general of the United States at that time, Henry Garland. The town is governed by a Mayor, Commissioners, a Town Clerk, and a Deputy Clerk.
TOWN OF HARRELLS
The town of Harrells was incorporated in 1943 as Harrells Store. In 1952 the Post Office changed its name to Harrells Post Office and then in 1955 it was officially deemed the town of Harrells. Located at the southern end of the county, the community surrounding Harrells in largely agricultural. It is home to Harrells Christian Academy and small private school with students from all over the county. The town is governed by a Mayor-Council form of government.
TOWN OF NEWTON GROVE
The town of Newton Grove is located at the Northern end of Sampson County, and was first incorporated in 1879 as the New Town at the Grove because of the prominent oak grove and then again in 1935. A mayor and five commissioners make up the government of Newton Grove.
Just 5 miles outside of the town you will find Bentonville Battlefield, a North Carolina Historic Site. This is the largest Civil War site in North Carolina and host several events each year.
TOWN OF ROSEBORO
The town of Roseboro is located in the central western portion area of the county and was incorporated in 1891. Roseboro was named after John M. Rose, the secretary of the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Regional Railroad, and is governed by a mayor and town commissioners.
TOWN OF SALEMBURG
Salemburg is the home of the North Carolina Justice Academy which provides training for all law enforcement officers. The town was incorporated in 1905 and was named after the old Salem Baptist Church, the “burg” was added to differentiate from Salem in Forsyth County.
TOWN OF TURKEY
Sitting on the east side of Sampson County is the quaint town of Turkey. The Turkey Township was named for Turkey Creek so called because of the large population of turkeys in the region during Colonial times. Incorporated in 1913, Turkey is the home to several farm related industries. The town is governed by a Mayor-Town Commissioner form of government.